All London’s A Stage

Beth’s varied experiences in the Theatre in London program

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pacifc Northwest, United States

All of the ADHD, none of the creativity.

5.5.07

Globe Theatre and the Tate Modern

The Tate Modern from across the Thames
Interior of the Tate Modern (I couldn't photograph the exibits, but I really wanted to. They were amazing: Auguste Rodin, Emil Nolde, Martine Dumas, Lee Krasner (Jackson's Polluck's widow), Clyfford Still, Steve McQueen, Arnulf Rainer, Anish Kapoor, Michele Zalopany, Roy Lichenstein, Umberto Boccioni, Bodo, Chéri Samba, the list goes on and on.The Globe Theatre from a footbridge over the Thames Musicians who played during intermission and a little in the playThe stage (we couldn't photograph the performance, but again, I really wanted to.Even the ceiling is pretty!

Today I went to the Tate Modern and saw all the famous paintings by Pollock, Matisse, Dalí, Lichtenstein, Rodin, and others that I have seen in art books my entire life.
Then we sat in line on the dirty sidewalk in a cold wind for an hour to get front spots in the yard at the Globe for the opening night of Othello starring Eamonn Walker. We were so close that the actors' spit rained on us, and they hit us as they jumped onto the stage. Cassio was mighty fine looking.
Othello is already a powerful play, and this production brought out the humanity in the characters (and Iago's reptillian inhumanity) while keeping us riveted.
On the tube, I finally convinced my friends that Gloucester really is pronunced "gla:stə(ɹ)". The man next to us couldn't help laughing when I explained Worcestershire sauce. Then we went up the right stairway from the tube station, and I was hit by a very large instrument case coming down the stairway.
My feet ache from four hours of standing on cold concrete.

1 Comments:

Blogger PMom said...

What great experiences! Thanks for sharing them with us.

May 7, 2007 at 3:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home